One particular instance that exemplifies my previous statement has to do with quite a lively moment that made us laugh, cry and yell. All at once! Let's just say Johann had his first successful hunt and his prey just happened to be the worst possible choice it could be... any guesses?
You're right, a little bunny. Can you believe it!? How could Johann be so disrespectful to his Aunt Sara and Cousin Hef? (...Don't roll your eyes at me!)
So it all began pretty simply. I was in the hot tub having a glass of wine talking to my mom and Tammi (Anthony's mom) without a care in the world! We had a great girls day and were just wondering when the guys would get back from golfing. Right about that time, there was a stirring rustle in the bushes near by. We thought it was just Johann exploring like he always does. After Johann emerged from the bushes in a gazelle-like fashion and continued to bound around the garden, we knew something was up. Before I even knew my legs were moving, I was out of the hot tub and in hot persuit of the little bugger. That's when I heard it... a shrill squeaking noise that I had heard once before. I knew immediately that it was a rabbit.
To make a long story short... my mom was yelling at me to go in the house and not look at it, I was crying and Tammi was laughing. When Johann had the little guy in his jaw grip, he started to come over to Tammi to show off his catch of the day. She was in limbo between begging Johann to come to her so that she could get him to drop the bunny, but also begging him to stay away from her because she didn't want the to see the damage. After all the drama had subsided, Johann dropped the bunny and it hopped off. My mom said that the bunny was fine and that there was no blood, but I still think that she was just saying that to appease me...the world may never know.
You are probably thinking... "C'mon Sara, get real. He's a dog, it's what they do." And I totally understand that! It's just that I have a kinship with bunnies that I can't explain. (I probably just lost friends with that statement.) And when the little rabbit was in Johann's mouth, I swear it looked at me! And I have had a baby bunny experience before, the catalyst to all of my bunny love and devotion... a little baby bunny named MJ.
Back in April of 2007, I was mowing my back yard with a push mower (another great product of having your father as your landlord) and came upon a life-changing event. I was mowing along and heard that unforgettable shrill squeaking noise that I mentioned before. I looked up, thinking it was a bird, but when I looked down, I saw the tiniest baby bunny EVER with a little bump on his head. If the neighbors had been watching, they probably would've contacted the local psych ward to take me in because I screamed at the top of my lungs, then ran in the house (bikini-clad, mind you) and grabbed any object I could find that might help the situation. I called what seemed like everyone in my phone book asking what to do and ended up picking the little baby up with rubber gloves and putting her in a box and bringing her in the house. The bump on her head grew as time went on, but luckily there were no cuts or bleeding from the mower.
I had MJ (I named her Mary Jane in honor of the day of her finding) for about a week before she died. I got her a bottle and formula and tried to nurse her to health but it was not enough. She was too young and needed a real mom. It was a horrible day!
That event not only sparked my appreciation for rabbits, but also gave me the itch to want to take care of something. If it wasn't for MJ, I would not have Hef today and I am so happy that I do! He's my special little guy!
So after that lame-o sob story, you can see why the Johann/bunny incident was so traumatic for me. It just broke my heart to see a little adolescent bunny attacked because a schnauzer was having a little fun.
Ok, so I think I've used up all of my bunny talking for the blog. Ever. I will try to cut back so as to protect an ounce of my integrity.
And by the way, no animals were harmed in the writing of this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment